Here are our top tips for making sure you are safe and getting a good deal when buying used iPhones.
Functional checks: Necessities to check if you want the phone to work
- Check the IMEI on the back of the phone matches the IMEI in Settings > General > About
- Check that the liquid damage sensors have not been set off
- Test everything (article on this coming soon)
- Check that find my iPhone is off
- Check the unit is not blacklisted – most retailers use a service called checkmend but there is also a free check available through swappa.com
- Check whether the device is unlocked or locked
Other considerations: For additional peace of mind
- Battery life might not be as good as if you were to buy new
- Check the condition
- What accessories are included
- What is the storage capacity – Will this be enough space?
- Software versions available – does it take the latest software versions? Some older iPhones are not compatible with the version of iOS.
- Apple warranty – is it out of warranty, refurb or in warranty.
- Does the seller provide any form of warranty?
Words of warning
- If buying online never pay by bank transfer – use something like PayPal which offers buyer protection.
- If you are buying in person and paying cash, make sure you get the sellers name and address in case the device gets blocked or goes wrong.
- If buying online is it insured against loss or damage in the post?
- buy from a reputable retailer like these lovely guys: http://illPod.com 😉
Did this article help you? let us know in the comments.
All of our articles are based on common questions we, on team illPod, are asked on a regular basis, so if you have a question let us know and we will do our best to answer it and maybe write a blog on the subject.